Jones Brook Area
Town: St. George
Length: 2.85 miles
Features: Beaver pond
The Jones Brook area includes three connected trails on the upper St. George peninsula. These trails are a collaborative project of the St. George Conservation Commission, St. George Historical Society (Fort Point), and Georges River Land Trust.
Town Forest Trail
The 0.75-mile Town Forest Trail is a loop trail that takes visitors through an area dominated by white cedar, balsam fir and spruce, as well as along an alder thicket that borders the Jones Brook marsh. On the west side of the loop is a small waterfall and pool dark with the tannins of evergreen needles.
Jones Brook Trail
The 1.5-mile Jones Brook Trail connects the town forest (Kinney Woods) to the historic Fort Point and traces parts of upper Jones Brook. The trail route passes through mature softwoods and mixed wood stands, and offers views of beaver lodges and moss-covered granite outcrops. The terrain is moderately level and provides an easy walk for those hikers looking for a longer trip.
Fort Point Trail
The 0.6-mile Fort Point Trail leads hikers across town-owned land to remnants of the historic Fort Point. Built in 1809, the fort served to protect American shipping lanes from British and French attacks during the Napoleonic Wars. Picnic tables are available for one of the most scenic lunch spots in the midcoast.
Download a printable trail map.
Directions to the Trailhead
The Kinney Woods trailhead is on Kinney Woods Road, 0.7 miles east of its intersection with Route 131. The Wiley’s Corner trailhead is located at the intersection of Wiley’s Corner Road and Route 131, five miles south of the intersection of Routes 1 and 131 in Thomaston.
The corporate sponsors of the Georges Highland Path are critical to its success. Patronize them and say “thank you!”