- This event has passed.
Langlais Sculpture Preserve Grand Opening
September 16, 2017 @ 2:00 pm - 5:00 pmFree
The public is invited to the grand opening of the Langlais Sculpture Preserve in Cushing! We have been hard at work over the last five years to protect and conserve the legacy of Bernard “Blackie” Langlais at his home in Cushing. Through many generous partnerships, more than 12 outdoor, larger-than-life wooden sculptures have been professionally conserved, the house, barn, and studio have been repaired, and we’ve completed several energy efficiency upgrades. We have secured a safe and accessible parking area, and completed an ADA accessible trail through the 5-acre sculpture park. Now it’s time to celebrate!
Here are some of the great activities to enjoy:
- Event is free and open to the public, 2 to 5 p.m.
- Free art project for children, with local artist Susan Beebe
- Access to the house and grounds will be hosted by friends of Blackie and GRLT, where you can learn more about the art and life of Bernard Langlais
- Reading of the Maine Art Series for Young Readers book “Bernard Langlais, Sculptor” at 4 p.m.
- Bake Sale to benefit Cushing Community School
- Did you know Blackie and Helen? Please come share your stories with oral historian Meghan Vigeant of Stories to Tell, to preserve the history of this unique artist and property
- Short films of Langlais will be playing throughout the day, in tandem with the Camden International Film Festival
- Live music! Playin’ Possum will be entertaining visitors throughout the day
- Pony rides
- Enjoy our new ADA accessible trails around the newly restored sculptures
- See a new collection of paintings exhibited in the house and barn
- Park offsite (details to follow) and take the shuttle to the Langlais Sculpture Preserve
- Visit our online photo gallery about Langlais
So mark your calendar for Saturday, September 16 and check back for more details in the coming weeks.This event is part of a slate of events scheduled this year to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Georges River Land Trust.
We are especially grateful to Cold Mountain Builders of Belfast for being the lead sponsor of this event. Thank you!!
Parking: Guests are asked to park at 734 River Road in Cushing where shuttles will take you to the Preserve.